Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 7.17.18 PM.png

Emmy Couture is an indie dyed yarn company, craft blog, and Youtube podcast. We provide bright, colorful, variegated, speckled, and tonal yarns perfect for all of your knitting needs. Check out the blog or podcast for a healthy dose of sewing, knitting, and general crafting inspiration.

Two Self-Drafted Skirts

Two Self-Drafted Skirts


I made up these two skirts last summer. They are both "self-drafted" of a sorts. . . I just measured, and marked out some gores on the fabric. Both skirts are made from quilting cotton that I purchased at Joann. (The bike skirt is made from this quilting cotton, but I cannot find the tulip fabric online.)


The bike skirt only has four gores due to a cutting mishap. I am not used to using directional prints, so I accidentally cut two gores upside down. I ended being able to remedy the situation by adding godets between the panels to increase the fullness a little. And I was still able to have in-seam pockets! I was so relieved that I managed to correct the problem so easily.

DSC_1072 - Version 2

I originally intended to make a dress out of this tulip fabric; therefore, I bought three yards. When it came down to it, I decided to make a skirt, and since I had three yards I had more than enough fabric to make a full skirt with a ruffle and pockets. What could be better? I do actually wear this skirt more than the other one.


The t-shirts that I'm wearing with these skirts are made from the sweetheart t-shirt pattern in Gertie Sews Vintage Casual. I found that with the two yards fabric requirement, I could cut two, almost three shirts! I used a cheaper, 60" knit fabric from Joann Fabrics similar to this one.


I've made three of these shirts so far, and found them to be extremely versatile. I wear them all the time. I fully intend to make more as soon as my budget can withstand it. The only change I would make to the pattern is to raise the neck an inch or so. I prefer to wear clothes that have less of a chance of wardrobe malfunctions. . .


Jolly day to you!


Flannel and Circle Skirts

Flannel and Circle Skirts

Gertie Sews Vintage Casual: Zipper-Front Dress

Gertie Sews Vintage Casual: Zipper-Front Dress