Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 7.17.18 PM.png

Emmy Couture is an indie dyed yarn company, craft blog, and Youtube podcast. We provide bright, colorful, variegated, speckled, and tonal yarns perfect for all of your knitting needs. Check out the blog or podcast for a healthy dose of sewing, knitting, and general crafting inspiration.

Fourth of July Dress: 2015

Fourth of July Dress: 2015


I sewed up this dress last year for the Fourth of July. I am almost positive that I used McCall's 6891, but I don't have the pattern in front of me to double-check. I used a quilting cotton and red buttons from Joann, and the lace around the armholes is from my stash .


I didn't have to make any major changes to this pattern in order for it to fit. I might have done a FBA, but I don't remember for sure. I did use a circle skirt instead of the more subdued skirt that the pattern required. I wanted to get that retro/vintage 1950's look.


There is a bit of a story behind this fabric. I actually purchased it in 2014 with the intent of making a July 4th dress, but never ended up getting around to it. A year rolled by and I decided to finally cut into the "precious" fabric. It was a good decision! I didn't worry too much about pattern matching the fabric since the stripes were so small, and I rather like the fun way that the stripes ended up laying.


I am also wearing a me-made crinoline underneath. I need to get crinolines figured out! This one is actually only the second or third I have sewn up. The first one was made following this tutorial way back when I first started sewing, and, in my ignorance, I threw it in the washer and dryer more than once, which has reduced its fluffiness significantly. This time around, I wanted it to be super puffy. I didn't have the time to do it correctly with the tiers and whatnot that help achieve the desired floof, so I pretty much just gathered a ton of tulle into a smaller waistband. Unfortunately, I did not pull the elastic in the waist tight enough, so the crinoline has a tendency to sag. Ah, well. Now I know for next time!


Jolly day to you!



The hair scarf I am wearing is the Brigette Scarf by Tilly and the Buttons. You can follow her fantastic tutorial here.

Butterick 6018: Flowers and Rainy Days

Butterick 6018: Flowers and Rainy Days

Sisters and a Blue Dress: Simplicity 1587

Sisters and a Blue Dress: Simplicity 1587