Brijee Patterns Brooke Blouse Review

It's a proper sewing post! It has been a while since I've written one of these. Knitting has totally consumed my life. But I have been doing bits of sewing here and there and one of the garments I stitched up in the past month is the newly released Brijee Patterns Brooke Blouse.

Right after I agreed to test this pattern for Brigid (Check out her blog if you haven't! She has the loveliest sewing projects and the cutest baby boy!) I had several other deadlines come up for knitting stuff, so it was a bit stressful trying to get everything done. And I wasn't sure if I would actually like wearing a button-back blouse or if the style would suit me at all. But I buckled down and got to sewing anyway.

I made a size 12 without any adjustments. No FBA either! Brigid informed me that her patterns are drafted for an A-cup (which I am most definitely not.) but that another tester who normally does the FBA adjustment, hadn't needed one for this pattern. I decided to just go with it and see what happened.

Also, I'd like to mention that the "layers" function that Brigid used for this pattern is genius. Basically, you can select which size/sizes you want and uncheck all the other sizes. That way you aren't dealing with a bazillion lines going every which way. So nice!

This blouse is designed to be somewhat loose around the bust area but then shaped at the waist. It has two tucks in the front and two darts in the back. There are several different options for sleeves and necklines, and I went for the sleeveless version with a v-neck.

I do love a good grown-on sleeve. You get the coverage of a cap/short sleeve without having to deal with set in sleeves. It's my favorite! And one of the details that made me interested in testing the pattern in the first place.

Although I spread the sewing of this blouse out over two or three days, I could easily have sewn it up in a couple of hours. It is a super quick make. A few darts, side and shoulder seams, facings, and then the closure.

I made mine even simpler by using snaps instead of buttons/buttonholes. That also makes it easier to get on and off since I don't have to try to fiddle with buttons behind my back. Actually, I've found that I can slip the blouse on and off with only undoing the top snap or two which is quite convenient. I think that's the part I was the most worried about having issues with.

I do think this blouse is quite flattering on me, and I can wear it with either jeans or a high waist skirt. Part of that is due to the drape of the fabric. I used a vintage fabric I had in my stash. (It was a Christmas present so I don't know any details.) It feels like it is halfway between a quilting cotton and a cotton lawn. It has the drape of a lawn but the sturdy/non-slippy feel of a quilting cotton. It was a dream to sew and lovely to wear. I have some leftover and I think I might make a skirt or dress out of it.

-Emily 

Disclaimer: I received the Brooke Blouse pattern in exchange for pattern testing. All opinions are my own.